Tuesday, November 18, 2014

The Princess Spy by Melanie Dickerson

The Princess Spy

Description:

Margaretha has always been a romantic, and hopes her newest suitor, Lord Claybrook, is destined to be her one true love. But then an injured man is brought to Hagenheim Castle, claiming to be an English lord who was attacked by Claybrook and left for dead. And only Margaretha---one of the few who speaks his language---understands the wild story. Margaretha finds herself unable to pass Colin's message along to her father, the duke, and convinces herself 'Lord Colin' is just an addled stranger. Then Colin retrieves an heirloom she lost in a well, and asks her to spy on Claybrook as repayment. Margaretha knows she could never be a spy---not only is she unable to keep anything secret, she's sure Colin is completely wrong about her potential betrothed. Though when Margaretha overhears Claybrook one day, she discovers her romantic notions may have been clouding her judgment about not only Colin but Claybrook as well. It is up to her to save her father and Hagenheim itself from Claybrook's wicked plot.

My Opinion:

I hate to say it, but this was my least favorite of Melanie's stories. I really didn't see how it related to the Princess and the Frog other than in one way. *Spoiler* At one point Colin is dressed in a hideous outfit that reminds everyone of a frog because their was nothing else for him to wear.*End Spoiler*.

Margaretha was extremely annoying. She was supposed to be the kind of girl who talks to much, but why in every story like that does the girl have to babble like an idiot? Why can't she be smart and refined and go of on intellectual rants? It just bothers me how people think that when someone talks to much they must be rambling on about things less exciting than the weather. On top of that, Margaretha was constantly apologizing for talking to much. I don't think I could count how many times she apologized on both of my hands.

The plot was not all that exciting in this one. I felt like the "spying" part was over too quickly and we didn't get to see enough of Claybrooks evil scheming. Claybrook was not made out to be a very intimidating guy. I honestly feel like I would have laughed in his face a few times if he threatened me.

I loved the prologue of the story, it was very emotional, but after that the story just seemed to lag behind the potential it had. I will say that it was entertaining enough to read and I liked Colin's character. I also loved how Gisela and Valten were in it a little and we had a glimpse of how they were faring.

Overall, it was okay, but their were some definite things that stood out that I did not care for.

Rating: 3 Stars




2 comments:

  1. I've been trying to break into Dickerson, so I'll be sure not to start here. ; ) Which book would you recommend starting with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either the Merchants Daughter or the Healers Apprentice are nice ones to start with. Most of them are about the same family, just specifically a different person in each one. The Healers Apprentice is probably the best one to start with. I hope that helps! Lol

      Delete