Monday, July 14, 2014

Captured by Love by Jody Hedlund

Captured by Love (Michigan Brides, #3)

Description:

It is 1814 and the British have taken hold of Mackinac Island and its fort, forcing American residents to swear an oath of loyalty to the British crown in order to retain their land. Pierre Durant is a voyageur--a fur trader who left his family home to find freedom and adventure. He's been gone five years and when he returns, his family's farm is at the mercy of the British invaders.

Torn between the life he's grown used to and guilt over leaving his brother and mother, he's drawn back into the loyalist fight against the British--and into a relationship with Angelique Mackenzie, a beautiful local girl who's been befriended by the daughter of the British commander. As tensions mount and the threat of violence increases, both Angelique and Pierre must decide where their loyalties rest, how far they will go to find freedom, and how much they will risk to find love.


My Opinion:

If I could give this book 3 thumbs up I would! Based on the cover I was nervous to read the book. It's a beautiful cover so I don't why, but I had an inkling that I wouldn't like it. However, that was not the case! This book in fact is probably my NEW favorite by Jody Hedlund, or at least a close tie with The Preachers Bride!


This book was so fun to read! Not that it was comical the whole way through, because it wasn't, but I felt like I was actually there with Angelique and Pierre. I felt like I was walking right beside them, going where they went, seeing what they saw right at their side. Like I was looking over their shoulder. This book had great perspective and it completely drew me in.


Pierre and Angelique's banter was hilarious! I caught myself rolling my eyes and laughing at Pierre's cocky comments more than a couple times, but I couldn't stop myself. I also loved that Angelique would reply in a cocky or sarcastic way. It was something that I would have done! As long as both people know they are joking, it's fun to poke fun at each other once in awhile. Who feels the same?


Both Pierre and Angelique's struggles had a huge impact on me. Angelique was striving to be better than the reputation the women in her family had, while all Pierre wanted to do for the longest time was get away from his family all together. Also, for years Angelique thought she was failing at her goal, while Pierre came to realize that his goal was completely wrong to have in the first place. Throughout the book they both come to terms with the fact that they are who they are, flaws and all, and that all they can do from here on out is be the best they can be for themselves, and for each other. And that God would give them the strength and grace they needed to know that they were not the disappointments they thought they were.


If you haven't guessed yet, there is really nothing I can judge or criticize about this book. I LOVED IT and I recommend it to everyone who has the slightest interest in it!


Stars: 5


***SIDE NOTE***
Go to my last post that is a GIVEAWAY for an ARC copy of REMNANTS: Season of Wonder by Lisa T. Bergren!!! You can find it by clicking HERE, or just scroll a little ways down the page!!! Thank you!!!!

13645229

No comments:

Post a Comment