Monday, October 28, 2013

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1)
Description:
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

My Opinion:
I was on the fence about reading this book from the start, but I finally decided to read it because my older sister thought highly of it and really wanted me to read it. My sister has been the person I have trusted the most with picking out books for me since she's the one who showed me so many of the authors I read today. She reads many more varieties of books than I do, but when it comes to romance we have always been of a like mind.

She was right about the romance part of this book. I did like it! Their was tension between the two main characters throughout the story. However, I was a little disappointed that they didn't have many encounters. They could have one and then the next would be several chapters later. This I think made the story run a little slower for me, because the whole time I'm waiting for their next encounter.

I did like the concept Marissa was going for in this book, and how well it is thought and played out on paper is beyond genius! BUT, I couldn't relate. I'm not much into futuristic stories because theirs many things thought up by the author and I have NO idea how to picture those things. I'm also not a mechanic like Cinder was, so when it talked about her fixing stuff and all the mumbo-jumbo she had to do, I was lost. I had no idea what she was doing to fix most of the machines/droids.

There were also some things about the story I found to be predictable; I can't say what though because then I would giving it away...


I liked it enough that eventually I will read the second in the book. I HAVE to know how it all ends! Who knows? Maybe I will absolutely fall in love with the second installment, but for now, it was just okay.

Rating: 3 1/2 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment