Thursday, July 18, 2013

The Frontiersman's Daughter by Laura Frantz

The Frontiersman's Daughter

Description:

Lovely but tough as nails, Lael Click is the daughter of a celebrated frontiersman. Haunted by her father's former captivity with the Shawnee Indians, as well as the secret sins of her family's past, Lael comes of age in the fragile Kentucky settlement her father founded. Though she faces the loss of a childhood love, a dangerous family feud, and the affection of a Shawnee warrior, Lael draws strength from the rugged land she calls home, and from Ma Horn, a distant relative who shows her the healing ways of herbs and roots found in the hills. But the arrival of an outlander doctor threatens her view of the world, God, and herself--and the power of grace and redemption.

This epic novel gives readers a glimpse into the simple yet daring lives of the pioneers who first crossed the Appalachians, all through the courageous eyes of a determined young woman. Laura Frantz's debut novel offers a feast for readers of historical fiction and romance lovers alike.

My Opinion:

I had high hopes for this book because I had heard many good things about it and I like the author. But I was disappointed with this one.
It was sooo... slow for a pretty long time. I'm a person who likes dialogue, and in my opinion their wasn't enough. Lael's conversations would start and then within about the next page the person she was talking to was leaving. Then the same thing would happen with the next person. So, I didn't feel like I REALLY got to know anyone but her.
If you read the description above then you already know that Lael has/had feelings for a few men. SPOILER- At one point in the book one of the men promises to come back for her so they can be wed/be together, but he NEVER shows up again! AND it doesn't say what ends up of him. I feel like that was a loose end not tied up by the end of the book. Which really irritated me.
About half way through the book it got better and I read that pretty fast, and I was very happy with the guy she ended up with in the end. So, altogether it was okay but not my favorite from Laura Frantz. I most definitely enjoyed her book, Courting Morrow little, and I would highly recommend that one:)
Rating: 3 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment