Sunday, July 14, 2013

Candle in the Darkness by Lynn Austin *Recommended!*

Candle in the Darkness (Refiners Fire, #1)

Definition:

Book 1 in the Refiner's Fire series. The daughter of a wealthy slave-holding family from Richmond, Virginia, Caroline Fletcher is raised in a culture that believes slavery is God-ordained and biblically acceptable. But upon awakening to the cruelty and injustice it encompasses, Caroline's eyes are opened for the first time to the men and women who have cared tirelessly for her. Her journey of maturity and faith will draw her into the abolitionist movement, where she is confronted with the risks and sacrifices her beliefs entail.

My Opinion:

Thanks so MUCH Aerykah for recommending this! At first I was a little hesitant to read this book. The back of it didn't come with much of a description so I figured it would focus and drag on about Abolishing Slavery without giving me anything entertaining... Basically I thought reading it would be like a huge history lesson in school, instead of a story, and I would have to strive to stay awake.

Boy was I wrong! Yes- It did focus on Slavery. Yes- It definitely showed how BOTH Confederate and Union Soldiers thought. And Yes- It did have a lot of talk about the Civil War: Where camps may have been set up, army lines, defenses, dates of attacks...etc. BUT it was all done in an entertaining story which I very much enjoyed!

It was focused on Caroline and her growing relationship with her Father's slaves over the years, and how as she grew up she had to decide who SHE was going to fight for. Would she stand up for Slavery? Or would she, in some way, fight for Freedom?

Their was also where her Beau and "Wanna-Be-Beau" came in. Which would side with her? Which would she end up having to choose in the end? I'm writing these questions because it's hard to mention these things without giving away the answers. So instead, I will just have you thinking about them. ;)

Romance was another thing I was worried about. I didn't think this would be a book I could read for my blog, but I gave it a shot. There was plenty of romance to satisfy me and it was tied to one of the most important things in the book- Where your Loyalties lied.

I loved how Caroline's "Slave" Eli was a big role model in her life, for his behavior, character, and relationship/walk with God. Eli was one of my favorite people in the story. He always knew the right thing to say, whether it be for comfort or building Caroline up.

The one and ONLY thing I did not care for was the VERY end. It was too rushed for me and I thought it should have been explained/taken a little slower. I was so devastated at the end and then within about three pages everything is supposed to be fixed. I didn't have time to see how it was exactly fixed though, and that was a little disappointing.

However, Candle in the Darkness is still going on my all time favorites list. I can't wait to read the others:) Best book I've read in awhile!

Rating: 5 Stars

3 comments:

  1. You're very welcome, Salyna! I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Hope you get to read the rest of the series soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already ordered them from the library.. now I'm just waiting for them to get here:)

      Delete
  2. Awesome! Hope you enjoy them as much as I did! :)

    ReplyDelete