Thursday, March 28, 2013

To Die For by Sandra Byrd

To Die For: A Novel of Anne Boleyn

Description:


What would you sacrifice for your best friend?
Would you die for her?

Meg Wyatt has been Anne Boleyn's closest friend since they grew up together on neighboring manors in Kent. So when twenty-five-year-old Anne's star begins to ascend, of course she takes Meg along for the ride.

Life in the court of Henry VIII is thrilling... at first. Meg is made mistress of Anne's wardrobe, and she enjoys the spoils of this privileged orbit and uses her influence for good. She is young and beautiful and in favor; everyone at court assumes that being close to her is being close to Anne.

But favor is fickle and envy is often laced with venom. As Anne falls, so does Meg, and it becomes nearly impossible for her to discern ally from enemy. Suddenly life's unwelcome surprises rub against the court's sheen to reveal the tarnished brass of false affections and the bona fide gold of those that are true. Both Anne and Meg may lose everything. When your best friend is married to fearsome Henry VIII, you may soon find yourself not only friendless but headless as well.

A rich alchemy of fact and fiction, To Die For chronicles the glittering court life, the sweeping romance, and the heartbreaking fall from grace of a forsaken queen and Meg, her closest companion, who was forgotten by the ages but who is destined to live in our hearts forever.

My Opinion:

This was a great read, but I'm having a hard time coming up with stuff to say about it without giving important information away. So please bare with me...

This was the first book I have read by Sandra Byrd and it was heart wrenching for me, but that does not mean I didn't like it. The book was full of romance, lust, and betrayal. It was a very interesting read and it had me hooked.

I liked how this book was told through the eyes of Anne Boleyns life long best friend Meg. With it being written like that we see the life and trials of Anne, but also the life of Meg and the trials she faced. We see her dedication, love, faith, and so much more towards the people around her. Furthermore, we see many things said behind Annes back by the people who serve her and also her enemies.

I liked the romance in the book and I understand why Megs 'man' was not in the story an awful lot, however I wish he would of been in the story more. That was one of the main reasons this book was an emotional one to read for me being the soppy person that I am. Even though he wasn't in it an awful lot her 'man' was very sweet! Probably the sweetest guy I have read about. I loved him from the beginning.

I hope this little bit that I have given about my thoughts helps you decide if it's a book you would want to read. I do hope it makes it on to your to-read list because it is definitely worth it.

Rating: 5 Stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment