Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Surrender the Heart *Surrender to Destiny Series*



 Description:


 On the brink of the War of 1812, Marianne Denton must marry to unlock her inheritance. Without the money, her mother can't receive medical care and her sister will be destitute. But Noah Brenin needs to sail his cargo to England before the war commences in order to prove his worth to his father and make enough money so he won't have to marry at all.


Defying his father's wishes, Noah loathes the idea of marrying a woman he finds plain and pompous. Marianne wants nothing to do with the rogue who taunted her as a child, yet she must convince him otherwise or her mother will die.

But when Noah walks out on their engagement party, Marianne chases him down and ends up on his merchantman out at sea. The situation worsens when Noah's ship encounters a British man-of-war and the couple are impressed into the British navy. While a young lad's prophecy of destiny looms over them both, Marianne and Noah are forced to face their darkest fears as they desperately try to find a way to escape and fulfill their destinies-destinies that could change the course of the war and history forever. 


(Description from: http://www.mltyndall.com/SurrenderTheHeart.html)

My Opinion: 

This book took me a little while longer to finish than most books have been taking me. I really enjoyed it, I just didn't get hooked as fast as I normally do. 

I really liked how the main characters did not get along in the begging. When I was reading it I was like, "I know something you guys don't know! Oh, the Irony! The two childhood enemies become the love struck adults!" I got to read about them gaining respect for each other and eventually that building into a relationship. Therefore, once the fighting and arguing about their differences was over, the romance came into play. Noah realized the plain childhood snob he once knew was no more, and in her place was a beautiful, grown angel. Marianne realized the annoying childhood rebel she once knew was now a handsome, mature man.

I also loved how they both started believing in Christ again. Brenin had to give up past regrets and move on knowing God had a reason for them. Marianne had to forget about past hurts in her life and start trusting again- mainly in God. Through the voyage that turned into a nightmare for the both of them, they learn these lessons from the struggles they are put in and the people they meet.

The only disappointments I have are you never find out what happened to Marianne's mother or sister. Of course I infer that they are okay and that she sees them again, but I wish the book would have said. Also, I feel like the little boy Daniel was too smart. He spoke to maturely for his age, not only in the subjects he talked about, but also in the grammar/words he used. That part just wasn't realistic for me. Over all good book though!

Rating out of 5 stars (5 being the highest): 4

No comments:

Post a Comment